Foods That Increase Testosterone
Foods that increase testosterone are an important element
when trying to naturally boost testosterone levels.
Testosterone is the all-important hormone that gives men their distinctly male characteristics such as deep voice, facial and torso hair, muscle mass, aggressive (motivational) behavior, and sex drive.
For a more detailed read we encourage you to visit our - what does testosterone do - page.
Normal testosterone levels will decrease over age and the decline usually begins at age 30. The rate of decline in men is from 1-2% per year. For a more detailed article on normal testosterone levels click on the link.
Testosterone production is dependent on zinc and vitamin B, both of which are abundant in certain foods.
The common denominator in foods that increase testosterone levels, is in fact, the abundance of zinc.
Nutritional deficiencies increase with age which makes it a wise choice to increase the intake of these vitamins and minerals either through food or natural supplements that are specifically geared towards providing your body with readily available zinc. The most famous such supplement is ZMA.
The easiest way to boost your testosterone is by incorporating the foods in the list below into your daily diet.
Foods That Increase Testosterone
- Raw Oysters - are of the best sources
of zinc. Not only do they help boost testosterone production but they also help increase sex drive (libido) and semen production. They have the reputation of being Aphrodisiacs (sex drive enhancers).
- Avocados - contain high levels of Folic acid which helps metabolize proteins. They also contain vitamin B6, helpful in increasing male hormone production. Furthermore, they have potassium which helps with regulating the thyroid gland in females thereby enhancing female libido levels as well.
For a list of complete nutritional facts on avocados and
other fruits go to our
fruit nutrition fact page.
- Bananas - contain the bromelain enzyme, which is believed to improve the male sex drive. They are rich in potassium and B vitamins such as riboflavin which is necessary for testosterone production. For more complete nutritional information on bananas visit our banana nutrition facts page.
- Salmon - is the best source of essential
fatty acids (EFAs). If your diet is deficient in essential
fats such as Omega 3, it can affect your testosterone
production negatively. For more on EFAs go to our main
- Red Meat - another great source of zinc is animal protein. Zinc from this source is most readily absorbed by the body making red meat a great nutritional option.
Other suggestions for red meat lovers include wild game,
grass-fed bison, lamb and horse meat. All of these are considered good testosterone food.
- Almonds - are a prime source of essential fatty acids. These are vital as they provide the raw material for healthy production of hormones in men.
- Eggs - are yet another source of vitamins (B5 & B6) both of which help fight stress and balance hormone levels. These vitamins are crucial to a healthy sex drive.
- Brown Rice - is a good sources of zinc. In addition, they are a good source of healthy carbohydrates.
- Milk and yogurt - are all high in zinc and ideal if you’re looking for testosterone food.
- Figs - are high in amino acids, which
researchers believe can increase testosterone levels and sex drive. Studies have also linked figs with an increase in sexual stamina.
- Beans - are an ideal part of a testosterone boosting diet because they also have a high content of zinc.
Foods That Increase Testosterone - Foods to Avoid:
Foods Rich in Simple Sugars. These types of foods increase levels of insulin and cortisol (also known as the "stress hormone) in blood which affects testosterone production negatively. Therefore, restricting the intake of such foods is essential when trying to increase testosterone levels.
Fast Food. It's been no surprise that
studies have shown the saturated fats in fast foods, take-away food and other processed foods to lower testosterone production and cause a loss of sexual drive.
Cutting back on these foods will most definitely help your
testosterone levels and keep your sex drive on track.
Too Much Carbohydrates - this will cause
weight gain and fat deposit accumulation throughout your body. Since fat is a nemesis of sorts for testosterone, you can understand why limiting carbs can be important.
From "Foods That Increase Testosterone" to main page about "Supplement Reviews"